Monday, May 14, 2012

Art above the sofa: Check

I posted a couple weeks ago that I finally ordered Art for my living room.  Welp... after many random calls to Atlanta plastic companies and several out of the ballpark estimates later I finally took the plunge.  Apparently lucite or thicker sheets of acrylic are pretty expensive to have cut to size, who knew?  Not to mention, those little studs (called "stand-offs") are $25-$30 EACH. I'm in the wrong business...

Thankfully I found a great (and more reasonable) company in Duluth willing to work with me and I found the bolts/stand-offs online, 6 for $23 total. Wednesday evening my local handyman who works at Savvy Snoot came over to help me hang my project. Some sweat, selfish prayers, and 3 hours later it was hung.  This might not have been the easiest thing to hang but I feel confident this is the last time he will have to do this.


I love it.  I know it might not be for everyone but it looks so cool, very different and unique. I was originally thinking I would put something flanking each side of the picture but now I'm not so sure.  I can't take all the credit, I copied Baylor Says, she was having a similar predicament as me and her room needed a modern kick in the tush. Wa-La... She flanked hers with brass sconces which looks awesome but I can't decide what to do with mine.... What do you think?


The fabulous artist behind this "Night Peonies"print is Nancy from Cozamia.  If you're on pinterest or were on One Kings Lane last week then you might have run across her fabulous work.  She even tweaked my print to make the peonies less pink and more coral.


I think this will look really great once we get those other pillow colors with the peacock-navy and coral as anchors on the sofa.


I'm really glad I went with the acrylic frame, since my husband's big ass TV sits across from it I think it's nice to have something big but light and airy on that wall.


More to come this week on some new additions to our abode as well as updated pics.  We had our disciple class from church over so while the house was nice and clean I snapped some pics of everything.  My friend from Nashville also came down this past weekend for some antique-ing at Scott's Antique Roadshow so I'll give a run down on that too.


12 comments:

  1. AMY!! Oh my God I'm so happy to see the final result, even better than I imagined! The coral is dead on and works perfectly with the rest of this beautiful room...so glad you were able to find a more reasonable price for the frame, all the effort was definitely well worth it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Nancy for all your help, you definitely went above and beyond helping me! Hope to be able to use your lovely art work again in the future! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so funny, I have been dying to buy this same print and I have really wanted to put it in an acrylic frame. But it sounds like it might be pretty stressful to have it installed? Any way I could do it on my own or will I need a handyman? I LOVE the look, it exactly what I had pictured for my own home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy! It's really not that stressful but I wanted to make sure that it was installed correctly. I trust my husband but his handyman skills might not be quite up to par. I think I paid about $50 for a local guy who is a professional installer for Savvy Snoot in Atlanta to come help after his work hours. If it was a smaller size then it might be more manageable on my own. I am definitely glad I took the time and energy to use lucite! :)

      Delete
    2. Another question, sorry! so I assume you got two panels of acrylic cut the size you wanted? And how thick were those panels? Don't worry, I live in Colorado so not a copy cat in Atlanta, haha :)

      Delete
    3. No I don't mind at all and even if you did live here in Atlanta and copied me, I still wouldn't mind. :)
      I am not positive but I think my lucite was 3/8 of an inch, not quite as thick as I originally wanted but thick enough without drastically driving up the price.

      Delete
    4. and that's 3/8 of an inch on each sheet. The company I bought it from also adhered the print to one of the sheets for me so that I didn't have to mess with that.

      Delete
  4. It looks great!! I love Coza Mia!

    Where's your couch from? Love that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Thank you Corbin! Coza Mia and Nancy are great!
      My sofa is a Bernhardt that I custom ordered. Its so comfy and big, I love it!

      Delete
  5. where did you find that frame??? I have been looking for one for so long!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura- I had it made by a local sign company, it's acrylic sheets 3/8 of an inch each sheet (thickness) and the sign company drilled the holes in it for me. Then I ordered the standoffs (bolts) from Amazon. I just called around to places in around Atlanta for thicker sheets of lucite or acrylic until I found it at an ok price.

      Delete